Monday, January 23, 2012

It Happened To Us

It happened to us.  I never thought it would.  We had escaped it so many times.  But then last Tuesday when I answered my cell phone, I heard the words I did not want to hear.  Especially right then.  I was not at home and I had so much to do with no time to get it done.  And just like that, all of my plans for the week were stopped.  Everything I had planned just went out of the window.  Everything that I was going to get done and be ahead of the game for once.  All of that, all of those hopes, snuffed out just like that.  Because the school nurse called and said, "Your child has head lice."

I realize that this is not the end of the world, plenty of people get head lice.  But we hadn't.  My oldest child had made it to third grade and had managed to escape this.  However, my sweet little kindergartner did not escape this fate.  The first thing I thought (after I pitched a mental fit because all of my plans were ruined) was, "this is going to be awful and so inconvienent."  I stopped by the drugstore on my way to the school to buy some RID so that we could get started.  I picked up two kits because they also had to check my third grader and I was just sure that she had it too since they had been sleeping in each other's room all weekend.  I also had the school nurse check the baby because that's the way my luck goes.  To my surprise, the baby didn't have it.  Neither did my third grader.  And the nurse said my kindergartner had a small case of it because there were only a couple of nits (that word makes me cringe).  I am going to be honest, I find the whole thing gross.  Disgusting really, but I couldn't let my little girl know that.   I am also going to admit that I didn't know much about lice other than how to get rid of them, but I learned.  I'll share that info in a minute, it's enlightening. 

So after I did the three-hour process of de-licing my little girl's hair (it would have been the child with the most hair that got it), I started washing clothes and bedding and stuffed animals and towels.....my house was a disaster.  I honestly thought about putting out a "condemned" sign on my front door.  So later that night after I had been standing up for 12 hours and everyone was in bed on clean, de-liced bedding I was ready to go to bed.  Then my head started itching.  I thought it was in my head.  I had felt itchy ever since I heard the word "lice."  I woke up my husband to check my hair (very humiliating) and guess what?  I had lice.  Really.  Irony sucks.  So then I had to de-lice my hair.  Thank goodness I had the forsight to wash our bedding too.  I got to bed somewhere around 1:00 that night.

It is a week later and there has been no more sign of the lice (I need to insert in here that I did laundry for the rest of the week and that sucked too).  Now is where I am going to tell you what I found out about head lice:
  1. Lice like clean hair.  Who knew?  I always thought they liked dirty hair.  That being said, having lice seemed much less humiliating.  We got lice because our hair was extremely clean.  My kids are going to love this.  I can hear them now, "We can't take a bath tonight and wash our hair, lice like clean hair so we need to be dirty."  Maybe this fact should be kept a secret.....
  2. Lice can't fly. Then how in the world did they get in my hair?!  Ohhhh, my kindergartner has no regard for personal space, she gave it to me when she was rubbing her head all over mine and my pillow.  Comforting.  Wonder what else is going around the kindergarten?
  3. Lice are parasites.  They feed on the blood of the human scalp.  Finding these bugs in your child's hair is bad enough, but to think they are in yours produces a panic attack.  I can't even talk about this one, it makes me want to shave my head.
  4. Lice do not die immediately after treatment. This would have been helpful to know before I freaked out when I saw a live one in my child's hair when I was combing out the nits (step 2 of the process whereas step 1 involved the lice killing shampoo.  Go figure why I thought they would be dead).  Anyway, these little vampires can live up to 24 hours after treatment.  Then they die.  I hope it is a painful death.
  5. My kid thought that it was interesting that she had bugs in her hair.  Seriously?  She actually wanted to tell her friends about it.  Which I told her was fine because I didn't one time during this entire ordeal make her think it was something to be ashamed of.  But I told her not to tell anyone that I had it too...... 

8 comments:

  1. hi! Following you back from An Ordinary Housewife.
    Lice are terrible, aren't they? I got them one summer when I was working at a daycare summer camp. It is pretty embarrassing when DH has to help you fine comb your hair. And he used to work in jewelry so he has this magnifying glass for looking at gem stones, but we looked at the comb with it to see the lice, still squirming. It was kinda gross, but kinda fascinating at the same time. TMI, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got them at our house this year...my 4th grader came home with him. The worst part is he has autism, and the smell of the shampoo, the burning on his head, having to endure my constant combing was almost more than he could handle! But we finally got rid of them, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...we live parallel lives! Not only do our blogs look similar, but we write about the some of the same things. I linked you up on mine. Let me know what you're writing about next,and I'll copy it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I'm at www.WifeandMomUnivesity.com. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey, I've given you The Versatile Blogger Award...check it out at http://theworstestmommy.blogspot.com/2012/01/antics-of-autism-mom-kind-enough-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! Check out what I wrote: http://rediscoveringourfamily.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a "been there, done that" Mom, I can give you a little secret to getting rid of those buggers fast and efficiently for almost NO money. My daughter had thick white blonde hair down to her butt when she got them in 2nd grade. We used THREE boxes of RID just to saturate all her hair and it didn't even work. Lots of other kids at the school had the same problem. The nurse said sometimes the product is not fresh and doesn't work, and sometimes the lice are brought in by kids who have been treated over and over again and the lice became "immune" to the treatment. What I finally found was olive oil. Yep. Got a shower cap and drenched my daughters hair and scalp in olive oil and made her sit there watching television for an hour before washing it out. Lice were gone and her hair was absolutely gorgeous! She liked it a lot better because there was no bad smell, but she did complain about the stuff running down her back after about 10 minutes so we had to add a towel to catch the drips. It worked great though and she escaped further lice breakouts later in the year as well!

    Found you through Monday Mingle, I'll definitely be back! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!