Friday, February 3, 2012

5 Things to Do to Make Your House Feel Clean Everyday (even if it isn't)

I know, I know, who has time to clean their house every single day?  I don't, and I don't expect anyone else to either.  However, it is nice for your house to be "presentable" even if it isn't immaculate.  I struggle with this everyday.  I have three kids (1 yr, 6 yrs, and 8 yrs) and I am a stay-at-home-mom; so no matter what the expectation is of me, I feel as if my home must at least be "presentable" (you never know when the neigbors, neighborhood kids, or unexpected guest will show up at your door).  As a result of feeling this way, I have compiled a list of 5 things you can do daily so that your house can feel clean (even if it isn't):

  1. Make up the beds.  When the beds are made the bedroom automatically looks cleaner and less cluttered.  If your kids aren't old enough to make up their own beds. do it for them and teach them how as soon as possible.  Also, doesn't it feel better to get into a bed at night that has nice tight sheets?
  2. Do the dishes.  If you unload the dishwasher in the morning then it isn't hard to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher as the day goes on.  Nothing makes a kitchen appear dirtier than dirty dishes piled up in and around the sink.
  3. Open the blinds/curtains.  When you can see the outside, the home feels more open and less cluttered.
  4. Put dirty clothes/towels in the hamper.  Make sure that everyone puts their dirty clothes or towels in the hamper and not on the floor.  When there are not dirty clothes or towels tossed on the floor or counters in the bathroom, your house won't feel as cluttered.
  5. Make everyone responsible for their own clutter.  Whether it is your kids' toys, books, shoes, etc, your stuff, or your spouse's things, make sure everyone puts away their own mess.  I have found it helpful to keep a "pop up" hamper in the den for each kid to put their things in to so it is not covering every surface of our den.  At the end of the day (or sooner if it is really bugging you), the kids take each of their hampers to their room to put up the day's mess.  This also means that you are responsible for your mess as is your spouse responsible for their mess.
While these tips won't make your home immaculate, it will make your home seem neat and easier to clean when you get around to it.  Please share this page with others so that no one is ever caught off guard again with a messy house and unplanned visitors!  Oh, and make sure to keep the closets closed and the laundry room door shut....this can do wonders!

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas, and it would only take about 30 min. each day to give that last minute touch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this when my kids were really young. When they got a little older and I had to start taking them to playgroups or preschool I realized I didn't want to be the only mom in sweatpants so I started to leave the sweats at home.

    Have you tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? Instead of doing the cardio bits you can just do punches to save your knees/ankles.

    I miss my sweats so I still allow myself to wear them after the kids are in bed. Ahhhh relief!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!