Wednesday, March 28, 2012

One Word Causes Parental Reality Check

One word,  There is one word that makes parents (mostly mothers) everywhere cringe.  It sets my teeth on edge, makes my blood pressure rise, and ignites my temper.  A word that is innocently said everyday everywhere, but when said "that way" in "that tone" the meaning changes entirely.

A few days ago I was having a conversation with my third grader.  When we were done, I asked her to clean up her room.  That's when I heard it.  When that awful, eye-rolling, word that I would expect from her when whe is a teenager came out of her eight-year-old mouth: "Whatever."  Sounds innocent enough, right?  Wrong.  It was not a chipper, light "whatever."  It was a "whatever" full of irritation, frustration, and ill-will directed towards me, the mother.  Where did this come from?  This was not supposed to happen for years.  This "teenage-like" attitude was not supposed to appear yet, I was supposed to still have time to prepare for this.  I have to admit that I reacted badly.  I told her that I never wanted to hear that word said in that manner again.  Do you know what she said?  Can you guess?  NOTHING.  She did not utter a word, she just shrugged her shoulders, rolled her eyes, and walked out of the room.  I just stood there.  I stood there with my mouth wide open staring at where she had been standing.  I could not believe that my precious little girl had just copped an attitude towards me.  What am I supposed to do with this?  Now I can only imagine what her teenage years are going to be like.

Later, after my husband came home and the kids were in bed, I informed him of how his eldest child had treated me that afternoon.  Do you know what he did?  He laughed.  He laughed so hard he had tears coming out of his eyes.  I had them coming out of mine too, but for different reasons because I obviously was not laughing.  When he finished with his fit of laughter, he asked me what I expected, she is just like me.  I wasn't sure how to take that.  Was he insulting me, complimenting me, or just stating facts?  Then he said, "How do you think I feel?  I have to live with two of you!"  That's when it hit me: my daughter is just like me.  This should be interesting, and I'm not sure I mean that in a good way.

someecards.com - Please don't grow up to be like me. You are much too sweet to be sarcastic and moody.

4 comments:

  1. As a mother with five kids (ages 11, 14, 15 , 16 & 20), I can tell you the hormones start WAY before the "teen years" and the kids don't know what to do with it! I just wrote a post about this with my youngest and what I've learned by going through the same thing with all five of my kids. Imagine having PMS without any type of schedule... it just hits out of nowhere and you have never experienced it before. (short story, invest in some pre-teen girl vitamins and help her stabilize early... it is MIRACULOUS how much this helps!)

    Also, if my husband had laughed in that instance, he had best hope I wasn't PMSing or he'd be sleeping outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother of five OLDER kids- I would love to hear your advice on this topic! (i have six but my oldest is nine!) What post are you referring to?

      Emily
      http://www.weakandloved.com

      Delete
  2. oooh I see this in my nine year old daughter and it makes me very afraid! And like you, I see myself in her- and sometimes that is what is most annoying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I have a blog too, but I don't get a chance to update it often. I have a nearly 3-year-old daughter.

    I am also a freelance writer and I'm working on three parenting books. I need more writers to help with some of the chapters. If you're interested, email me...djforjesus@hotmail.com and I'll get you some details!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!