Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Smart Phones Cause People to Make Dumb Decisions

Today is the first day of spring.  However, because of our mild winter, it has felt like spring since February.  So since the weather has been conducive, I have taken the kids to the park, as have a lot of other mothers.  And they have taken their iPhones, iPads, or some other technology to the park.  Before I get started, let me point out that I have no problem with mothers having their phones at the park, I have mine there too.  What I have a problem with is the fact that some mothers stop paying attention to their children and pay more attention to whatever is so important on that phone.  Seriously, it seems to be more important than their child.  It seems to be more important than how their child is behaving at the park.  Here is where I get frustrated: when their child is not playing nice and it affects my kids.  True story.  There was this kid who was about 8 or 9 who was completely terrorizing my 8-year-old and 6-year-old by chasing them, pushing them, not letting them go down the slide, the list goes on and on.  I even stepped in and asked the child to please leave mine alone and play with someone else.  Do you know the response I received from this child?  "You aren't my mom."  So of course I asked where his mom was, and the child pointed to the mother so immersed in her iPhone that someone could have kidnapped her child and had him in the next state before she realized that he was no longer in the park.  Because this child had irritated me to no end, I marched over to the mother intending to enlist her help with her child, but I might as well have been talking to the tree behind her for all of the attention she paid me.  I almost asked her kid what her phone number was so that I could Facetime her so she might listen to me.  After this, I was mad, frustrated, and literally wanted to throw something at that mother.  Because of this, we left the park.  My kids had an afternoon ruined because of some brat and his uninvolved mom.  This is not the first time that this has happened to us, nor is it the first time that I have seen this happen to other people.  This is an issue that I think plagues many play areas.  Mothers who are too busy to pay attention to their children and how their children are interacting with other kids.  How are children supposed to learn how to behave when their own parents do not seem to care how they behave?

Another thing that I ran into this week (literally) was a mother in the grocery store who was so busy surfing her iPhone that she pushed her shopping cart right into mine and made my daughter (who was in the cart) cry.  The mother, who also had a little girl about one-year-old in her cart, mumbled some kind of an apology while never looking up from her iPhone.  Seriously people, you are in the grocery store supposedly to shop, so get off of your phone.  We had to dodge this lady throughout the store, I'm not even sure she ever put anything in her shopping cart.  Maybe she was searching for an app for that.

The last thing that I am going to preach about today from my soapbox is the driver who is so enthralled with their phone that they forget they are driving a vehicle.  Stop lights are not place to check your email, Facebook, Twitter, Google, text, or whatever else that seemed more important than paying attention to the fact that the light turned green.  These people irritate me to no end.  They seem completely shocked when they are honked at for sitting at a green light.  I have self-admitted road rage, but this takes it to a new level.  People need to be more courteous to others that surround them because they are not the only ones in their small little world.  Other people exist too, and we are just trying to get through this life the same as they are.  Preferably without wanting to ram into the back of their car so that they wake up from the phone-induced daze that they seem to be in.

someecards.com - If I don't stop playing with this phone and pay attention, you are going to do what???!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand it when parents ignore their kids at play centres/playgrounds/parks. I feel like I'm parenting their kids along with my own and it's not my job while they have their nice time off on their phone.

    Our city has adopted the 'hands-free' law so there's no more texting/emailing while driving. I think it's cut it down quite a bit.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!