Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Happy Weight" - Does It Even Exist?

I have had the pleasure of the doctor telling me that I need to gain weight (this one time in middle school when I could not gain weight no matter what I ate..sigh), lose weight (I gained a little too much weight during my first pregnancy), and that I am the perfect weight (obviously told to me by a male doctor because a female would have known better), but what about a "happy weight"?  You know, that weight where you are not ashamed to go in public or wear a swim suit at the pool (assuming that there is a weight in which this exists); a weight in which you are satisfied.  Is there even such a thing?  Or are we trying to obtain something that does not exist?

I assume that most people are like me (that is my narcissism coming out) in that there is more than one "happy weight."   I know that I am much happier with my weight in the winter when I can layer clothing in order to hide the fact that I have been eating the kids' Christmas candy.  However, when the weather gets warmer and clothes get more revealing, I am less likely to be happy with my weight.  Of course my husband thinks I'm crazy, but he is male and he knows that he would suffer if he said anything less.  Until we are all equipped with vision that automatically Photoshops every one's appearance (I would like this
technology in my bathroom mirror, please), maybe we should not be so focused on looking "perfect." After all, even Kim Kardashian seems to fall victim to not being perfect enough to not be Photoshopped.

This crossed my mind this morning as I have three girls.  Those three girls gave me stretch marks, broken blood vessels, and gray hair (ok, maybe that last part is genetics), and I do not want them to be as concerned about their appearance as I am about mine.  Maybe chasing this "happy weight" that never seems to be attainable (because let's face it, even when you lose the amount of weight that you want to lose, there is always something else that you want to do to your appearance) is a waste of time.  Maybe instead I should focus on being happy that I am at a healthy weight, and ignore the broken blood vessels and stretch marks (I cannot ignore the gray hair, I dye it). Now, since that is settled, I will now proceed to go to my closet and eat the last Reese's egg from Easter.

someecards.com - Forget exercising, I'm running home to get the last piece of Easter candy before the kids get home...

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I have struggled with my weight ever since my second pregnancy. I was always the white girl who was average weight but had a big rear (which was fine!).

    My first pregnancy was great! I barely gained anything and lost almost all the weight and I was totally thinking "score!!" haha then my second came along and I gained about 50 lbs, most of which did not go away when I had him.

    While I'm still not 'okay' with my weight I know that I am happy, I have lost some weight and I feel better which is great. I decided one day that instead of spending my time worrying about being thin again I'd just enjoy my life with my kids who gave me my weight lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad you decided to enjoy your life with your kids instead of constantly worrying about your weight. I think that too many of us over-focus on weight and it takes away from having fun with our kids.

      Delete
  2. I was just feeling the "ugh, i hate the way i look" feeling this morning. And yes, it's because summer is just around the corner...and I still haven't lost the weight from the halloween candy from 2003!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely commiserate! I am still holding on to pounds brought to me by holidays past....

      Delete
  3. I have my days, one day I feel great and others I feel like I need to lose weight. It's like a yo-yo up and down and repeat. I am glad I am not the only one that struggles.

    Great post, stopping in from the April hop on bloggymoms.

    http://www.scatteredmusings.net/2012/04/americas-oldest-teenager-dick-clark-dies-at-82/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely not alone, I think most of us are on the yo-yo ride! Thanks for stopping by, I will be sure to stop by and visit you too!

      Delete

Please let me know what you think!