Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Top 5 Reasons I Will Not Receive the "Mother of the Year" Award

I have kids, three actually, which makes me a mother.  Lately in our culture it seems that there has been an unwritten "parenting policy handbook" in which mothers (parents in general) should adhere to.  If that committee that is in anyway looking at me, I must be their muse for the "what not to do" section of their policy book.  There are many reasons that I will not receive the "Mother of the Year" award, but here are the top 5:

1.  When our third child was born, I taught my then-7-year-old how to wash her own hair and her 4 1/2-year-old sister's hair in the shower so that I would only have to bathe one child per night.  I cannot tell you how much time it has saved me to not have to wash three heads of hair. 

2.  I have a tv in each of my kids' rooms.  Even the one-year-old's room.  I know, it is against all parenting policy.  However, when the older two are arguing over what to watch, I can send them to separate rooms.  When the one-year-old will not sleep at two in the morning, I can turn on her tv, set the sleep timer so it goes off in an hour, and go back to bed and sleep.  This way no one is sleep deprived (well, usually anyway), I can watch my own tv, the kids can watch their show or movie, and no one is arguing.  Silence is very peaceful.

3.  My kids do not play every sport offered.  I know, I know, in today's society they have to play everything in order to be well rounded.  So my kids are going are apparently going to be as flat as pancakes because I'm not hauling them somewhere every night of the week.  They each get to pick one thing per season that they want to do (yes, only one because I am the unrealistic mean mother).  Believe it or not, I actually enjoy my kids' company and do not want to do every activity under the sun because I want to see them during the week.  That, and do you know how much we would be gone if I let ALL of them do everything?  We might as well sell the house and pitch a tent at whichever parking lot or field we are going to be at that day.  I feel as if we live out of our car as it is.

4.  I do not let my kids put together their own outfits to wear to school.  Astonishing, I get it.  However, I feel as if they will just have to express themselves in some other manner (they seem to be really good at the talking thing so we will go with that, they can tell me how they feel instead of wearing it).  They need to learn what is appropriate and what is not.  I do not care what they wear on the weekend to play (as long as it is weather appropriate), but to school they must at least look presentable.  When they grow up and go to work they will have to dress the part so school is practice.

5.  I let my kids in on the secret that life is not fair.  "Molli, I don't care if you don't want to go to kindergarten today because it's not fair that you have to go to school for five days and the weekend is only two days, life isn't fair, now go to school."  At least she learned everything that she needed to know in kindergarten.  "Morgan, I'm sorry that you don't think it's fair that your sister gets to stay at home because she's sick and you aren't, life isn't fair, that's the way the cookie crumbles, now get in the car."  I have an arsenal of things deemed "not fair" by my third grader and kindergartner.  I am
sure as soon as the one-year-old gets a large enough vocabulary something in her life will not be fair either.

Maybe I should have thrown a bonus reason in there too.  I inadvertently taught my third grader what sarcasm is.  Amazing how their little brains pick up something so fast and hurl it right back at you....

someecards.com - I may not be

11 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad, I would have never won typical parenting awards either, but I have a house full of teenagers that I truly enjoy and they are all good students and happy people. In my opinion, all kids don't need the same things, so parenting everyone the same way isn't the 'right' thing to do either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I am a new follower from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your honesty. I'm guilty of everything you've posted but it works for me! I'm happy to have stumbled upon this blog. I feel normal now. LOL . You are mother of the year in my eyes :) posting this on my page if that's okay www.facebook.com/3citygirlsnyc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am following your facebook page and love it!

      Delete
  4. Found you through a bloggy mom tweet...but gotta say I may love you! FOR REAL! I love your honesty and love that you tell your kids the truth..my mom always told me...life isnt fair...the fair comes once a year and today isnt the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lauren... I related to her post ... I'm so honest with my kids because I don't want them to live in a fairy tale ... honesty is the best policy :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Lauren, I love your blog! I wish I was so creative, lol. I also noticed that we are not that far apart (I live in Mississippi and am an Ole Miss fan). I appreciate your stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you all the way. As parents, we have to do what's right for our kids, but also what's practical for us.

    Visiting via SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, great post. I love my mom to bits, but I'm sure there are things mommy-nazis would dislike in her. I was also taught at a young age to wash my own hair - and I didn't turn out any worse for it.

    Also, I think it's good not to let your kids participate in every darn sport available. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's little kids buckling under pressure of having to over-perform.

    Stopping over via SITS Sharefest :)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!