Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Procrastinations: It Was Over So Fast

Summer is almost over.  In just three short weeks school will start again.  Which means only one thing: I have to cram a whole bunch of summer fun that I have failed to do thus far into three weeks.  Oh joy.  Procrastination at it's finest, I even procrastinate on the fun stuff.  I can either call it procrastination or failure.  I prefer procrastination, even though I have been procrastinating some things for years, I refuse to call it failure.  Here is my short list of "Summer Procrastinations."  I refuse to call it "Summer Failures" because hopefully there will be more summers to make up for the things that I have not done this year (which is something I say every year).

1.  Museum Procrastination.  Ok, so I did take them one time, but I had planned on taking them to more than one.  The one day that we did go was fun, we even had a picnic.  Then I got lazy and did not want to drive the ten miles it took to get there and watch a dozen other kids interact terribly with one another because apparently their parents never taught them how to behave in public.  Or they do not care because they are too busy talking to each other or playing with their phone.  Meanwhile my kids are unable to see the exhibit because I am not on the anxiety medication that the other parents seem to be on that allows them to not care that their children are climbing over each other, the exhibit, hanging from the ceiling, or trying to climb over the glass wall at the alligator exhibit.  True story, I actually pulled a kid off of it for fear of him falling in.  The thanks I received was an irritated mother whose conversation I had interrupted.  Maybe I should have told her I was sorry because I did not know that she wanted her kid to be gator bait.

2.  Swimming Pool Delay.  We belong to a swimming pool that we pay for monthly (as in every month of the year).  This is the second summer that we have belonged to it, and I can count on my two hands how many times we have actually been to the pool in both of those summers.  I had good intentions, I really meant to take the kids every day this summer that the pool was open.  Then the ear infections and sinus infections happened and that goal became a distant dream.  Not to mention it is really time consuming to pack all of the stuff that three kids (and myself) need for the pool and drive the eight miles out to the pool.  Next week we will try to remedy that, but I am sure that it will rain all week.  No matter that it has not rained but about two days all summer, the clouds will come as soon as I plan to spend the next three weeks at the pool.

3.  "Fun Things To Do with your Kids in the Summer" as deemed by Pinterest.  Ok, well, anything that involves "Pinterest."  The word "Pinterest" should have been enough there to explain the procrastinations.  Pinterest, by design, is a place where we pin our good intentions and then never do them because they are just so detailed.  Yet, there we are, day after day, pinning things that we will never get around to which will just make us feel inadequate compared to the people who actually completed these pins.  Who are these people anyway, would you please raise your hand?  there should be a website to commend those who actually complete more than ten pins on Pinterest.  Why is it again that we log onto Pinterest?  For a swift kick of reality that we suck as people because we aren't as crafty, tidy, or organized as we should be?  Our houses aren't fabulously decorated "for just a few dollars because I can make something that someone else threw out look fabulous in just a couple of minutes with things you can find in your own home" nor are they so wonderfully organized "in just a few minutes of your time each day" because let's be honest, we had rather spend the time pinning these fabulous ideas than actually implementing them.  As far as the food goes, who has time to cook every single pin that is pinned on Pinterest?  But in case you want to, follow this board and this board because one has great food and the other is funny.  Laughing reduces calories so it is a win-win.

4.  Read more books.  Maybe that should have been "pretend" to read more books and then this would not have to be on the list.  My kids have read, a lot actually because I instituted my "mandatory reading time", read about that here.  I, however, have been distracted.  Writing two blogs during that time takes awhile (see my other blog here).  Ok, I will be honest, my blogs have suffered too (but of course you know that since you read my blog, I have not posted nearly as much).  There have been distractions.  Jessica Simpson had her baby, Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise broke up, the Kourtney Kardashian baby-watch was happening, Reality Steve was discussing The Bachelorette spoilers (which I am still waiting to find out if it is going to be Arie or Jef, but let's be real, it should have been Sean); it has been a busy summer.  I did, however, get one book read (other than a cookbook).  I just finished it last night (mostly so I could write that in this post, but it still counts).

5.  Exercise with the kids every morning.  When the summer started, the kids and I were pumped up about walking and jogging every morning.  We did that one morning.  One.  We did not even attempt for the second morning.  That says a lot about our will power.  It says more than I am willing to say out loud.  However, in our defense, on that morning it was humid and we all have asthma (well, 2, maybe 3, out of 4 of us do), the middle child fell down and scraped her knees all up (which in the world of a 6 year old was a very dramatic tragedy), the now-2-year-old was cranky, the now-9-year-old was hot, and my knee hurt.  Ok, let's face it, we prefer to be in the air conditioning when it is over 100 degrees outside.

So there you have it, my top 5 list of summer failures, um, I mean procrastinations.  The actual list is longer, but I do not want everyone to know all of my flaws... Now to go take care of the new puppy that my husband decided to get us this summer, which is my main excuse for not being able to get anything done this summer.

someecards.com - Between Pinterest, TomKat's split, the Kardashian baby watch, Reality Steve's Bachelorette spoilers, and the weather, I procrastinated the summer away...

8 comments:

  1. Time flies! I usually do the same thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have led off with puppy! It cancels out all of the others! Procrastination absolved! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* the subtitle of your blog. Love it. Isn't that what everyone needs to do? Also, I've actually made two (count 'em—TWO!) of the things I've pinned. I think that means I win Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A puppy. A puppy? Your expectations are are way too high. Nothing happens when there is a puppy. Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you steal my procrastination list? It looks a lot like this one! Found you on Finding the Funny. Come visit me at www.notmymomsblog.com. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Packing the kids up to go anywhere takes longer than you'd think. Oh, I can't stand it when other parents let their children run wild in public at the expense of others' enjoyment! My kids and I have discovered the way to combat annoying, obnoxious kids and parents at the library is to go in the evening rather that during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain - especially the exercising part.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm back. No, not as a stalker. I'm tagging you with the Versatile Blogger Award! If you choose to accept it, as I did, you can find all the details on my post. Best, Kim
    http://www.notmymomsblog.com/2012/07/its-official-im-versatile.html

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!