Saturday, July 7, 2012

These Things Happen at Your House Too, Right?

This week has put me through the ringer, shook me off, and shoved me back through.  A holiday in the middle of the week was cruel, it made the week extra long.  As a matter of fact, this week was so long that I kept thinking that it was two weeks, which only made matters worse.  I love my kids, I love being with them, but they sincerely and thoroughly kicked my butt this week.

My youngest daughter will be two in less than two weeks, but she has reached her two-year-old personality early.  So far this week she has learned to climb up on top of her dresser by stacking books, blocks, boxes, anything her little hands can pick up.  Serious hazard, I know.  But do you know why she wants on top of her dresser?  To get the remote controls to her tv because she is convinced that they are phones and she desperately wants to call Henry the Octopus from The Wiggles.  Now, I am all for a kid being a fan of something, but this octopus thing has me at my wits end.  She wears her shoes on her hands (because Henry wears shoes on all of his "hands"), refuses to wear them on her feet and it is beginning to draw some attention when we are in public.  She has taken it one step further at night now and pulls her arms out of the top of her pajamas (they are long sleeves) so that the empty sleeves of her pajamas appear to be two extra arms.  And she stands in her bed and sings "Move Your Arms Like Henry."  I am sure every two year old thinks they are an octopus, right?  Except last night she did not do this.  Last night she learned how to take all of her clothes off (diaper included).  I had to re-dress her two times last night while she kicked and screamed because she did not want clothes.  Great, we have a streaker.  This is also the kid that I caught brushing her hair with the toilet brush earlier in the week right before we had to go to the store.  True story.  My gag reflexes still work while reading that sentence. 

My six-year-old daughter has a fixation with HGTV.  Again, I am sure that this is completely normal, I am sure that most six-year-olds want to redecorate their room, bathroom, house, etc instead of playing with friends.  This daughter is usually the one who is the "pleaser," she never wants to rock the boat.  Imagine my surprise and horror when this child had a meltdown in Home Goods because I would not buy her a pair of new lamps for her room, not the toys from the toy section, but a nice pair of glass lamps.  I need to stage an intervention, she is cut off from HGTV.

My nine-year-old (just had a birthday this week) has assumed the role of the "boss."  She knows everything and I know nothing.  I was prepared for this in about three years, not now.  It is a constant battle for the last word.  My husband says she is just like me so I should not be surprised.  Nobody has seen him since he made that statement, I don't know what happened to him, I swear (just kidding....).  This kid is really into the Food Network and now considers herself a food critic (wonderful).  This is not always a bad thing since I also have a food blog (The Organic Southern Mommy) and I constantly ask their opinion, but feeling as if I am on the show Chopped  (or maybe it is Hell's Kitchen) when I fix her a bowl of cereal or a sandwich is beginning to be a bit much.  I may stage an intervention for her as well.

The one thing I had working for me this week is that I have made a mandatory "Reading Time" every afternoon for an hour and a half.  That is right, ninety minutes of pure peace and quiet every day when the almost-two-year-old is taking a nap.  In my opinion, that has been my moment of genius for the summer and I should be given some kind of award for that...

someecards.com - If we all work together, we can make Mommy go crazy and that might be fun to watch.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! This made me laugh! My youngest went through a dog stage when he was about two, where he would go about everywhere with a rope hanging out of the back of his pants. It was his tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The octopus thing made me laugh so hard, I have a 3 year old & 1.5 year old, so I totally understand & completely sympathize. As for the HGTV thing...at least she has good taste..? :) Stopping by from SITS, have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me laugh. And yes, I can definitely relate. I was just wishing yesterday for a day or two of a boring life. There's always something going on here!

    Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is genius. I'm thinking I might need a mandatory reading time.

    But, oh, you've got my sympathy with the 2yo personality rearing its ugly head. I have a 3yo putting on the unreasonable, crazy antics lately.

    Hope the rest of the summer goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!