Thursday, November 1, 2012

Children are Blessings Not Burdens

Lately, I have seen more and more advertisements in which parenthood is depicted as something that is an unwanted stress, something that we should complain about, and drink our way through.  This bothers me.  I am sure that may seem like a hypocritical statement coming from me since most of my blogs are griping about one thing or another, but the overall theme is that I enjoy my children and I feel very blessed to have them.  They are three human beings that I love more than anything in this world, and I would never want them to think otherwise.  That being said, there are times where I am stressed out and I gripe about it, but never are my children unwanted or motivate any drinking habits. 

A few days ago, my oldest daughter (who is nine) was watching Nick Jr. with my youngest daughter (who is two).  As many of you may know, Nick Jr. has changed its format in the past few months.  No longer can they boast of having no advertisements because now they do.  They have also changed the TV programming as of 9:00 pm CST to "NickMom."  In the beginning, I did not really see a problem with this until I saw the commercial for this.  Or maybe it would be better put that I did not see a problem with this until I saw the commercial through the eyes of my nine year old daughter.  The commericals for NickMom air during the regular hours of Nick Jr., all day long so that children who are watching Nick Jr. can see them.  These commercials have an anti-children sentiment that my nine year old picked up on.  "Why do you like it better when we are in bed, don't you like spending time with us?" was the first question that she hurled at me.  There were several others, all of them which made me feel terrible.  That commercial made her feel like parents (moms specifically) did not like being parents, that children were a burden upon their parents, and that parents would rather them not be around.  Is this really what we want our children to think or feel?  I am sure that some of you think that I am blowing this out of proportion, but think about this for a minute, let it sit with you and put yourself in your children's shoes.  How would this make you feel?  If it is even questionable, then it probably is not a good thing. 

It seems that today's world has made it ok for parents to seemingly not like parenting.  I know that parenting is not perfect, things happen; I write about those things and I find nothing wrong with that. What I have a problem with is not acknowledging that your children are blessings not burdens.  Today's world is hard enough without parents giving their children a self-esteem issue; parents should lift their children up, not tear them down (even unintentionally).

This is November, a month of giving thanks, and I plan to spend this month finding things for which to be thankful instead of things to gripe or complain about. It's a challenge for me, and I suggest we all challenge ourselves to 30 Days of Being Thankful (and not complaining).  I will go first: Today I am thankful for my family.  Please join me as I post for the next 29 days of things I am thankful for.  My goal is to be a happier, more optimistic person by the end of the month (just in time for the Christmas season!).  Please share with me what you are thankful for either by commenting on this blog post or on the Facebook page.  Also, feel free to share with friends, we could all use a little uplifting every now and then.


2 comments:

  1. I agree! Well put. Being a mom can bring stress and hard times, but there is nothing more rewarding then children. I love all my little blessings as I am sure you love yours. Great Post and I'm sure as a lot of moms are, thankful for our children:)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!