Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Pancakes: One of my Most Versatile Recipes

Sixteen years ago at one of our wedding showers, we received a gift of a blank cookbook; one in which we could write our favorite recipes.  I remember that I thought that it would take forever to fill the pages of that cookbook. While I have not filled every page yet, I am currently on page 52.  Looking back through the pages, I can remember writing just about everyone of them in there.  There are lots of memories starting from when we are first married with instructions on how to cut the recipe in half to later recipes with instructions on how to double (and sometimes triple) the recipes now that we are a family of six.  It is amazing how fast time flies, and however cliché that sounds, it is the absolute truth.  The days are long but the years are short.


One of our most versatile recipes in my cookbook is the recipe for pancakes. They can be for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I like to make them on a Saturday morning, I like to pack them in my kids' lunches, and I like to have them for "breakfast for dinner." As much as we like them, it is important to have a good, reliable pancake recipe on hand. 




Our Cookbook

As you can see, I make adjustments in my recipes based on trial and error.
This one is my favorite because the pancakes can be made plain or can have add-ins such as chocolate chips or blueberries.  The best part?  Make one batter and then drop these add-ins onto the pancake while they are on the griddle and have made-to-order pancakes for the entire family (or just yourself). 

Plain pancake batter

Blueberry pancake batter (just drop the blueberries onto the top of the pancakes on the griddle).

Chocolate Chip pancake batter (just drop the chocolate chips onto the top of the pancakes on the griddle).

Here are some important things to remember about making homemade pancakes:
  1. Make sure your griddle or pan is hot when you pour the batter.
  2. Only flip your pancakes once.
  3. Use an ice cream scoop to place batter onto the griddle because it is the easiest and most consistent way to size your pancakes.
  4. The grease that you use to grease the griddle or pan matters.  Butter is good, but it can burn so be careful.  Spray oil is easy and light.
I hope that this insight into what I have learned about making pancakes can help make yours even better!



Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs separated
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat griddle to 350°F.
In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.  Set aside.

In two medium mixing bowls, separate the eggs (whites into one bowl and yolks in the other).

Beat the egg whites until stiff (peaks should stand alone).  Set aside.

Add the sugar to the egg yolks.  Use a whisk to combine.  Next, add the buttermilk and vanilla.  Stir to combine.

Now, pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a spoon to combine (do not over-mix).  Last, fold in the egg whites.

Grease your griddle or pan.  Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the batter onto preheated griddle.  Make sure to only flip the pancakes once.  Each side should be a gold brown.

Only flip the pancakes once; each side should be a golden brown.

I like to line a baking sheet with parchment paper and stack the pancakes there.  To make the batch pictured below, I doubled the above recipe.

Stacks of plain, blueberry, and chocolate chip pancakes.

For more recipes, check out the Recipes tab or click here.

For more behind the scenes of my life, please follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.

If you like what you see, please share or like or pin my post.  Thanks!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!