Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Hot Chocolate Bar & Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe

I am all about traditions, and Christmas is my favorite time of year.  Every year when we decorate the Christmas tree, we drink hot chocolate and listen to Christmas music.  When we are finished, we watch "It's a Wonderful Life" in the dark with only the movie and the Christmas tree lights.  The ornaments that are on our tree are ones we had growing up, and we add to them each year with new ornaments for every member of our family (even the pets).  Watching the kids decorate the tree and talk about which ornament is who's, where we got it, and where it should be put is one of my favorite parts of the Christmas season.  I feel like when they are adults and decorating their own Christmas trees that they will remember doing this and talk about their memories and carry on the tradition with their families.


My kids and I make homemade hot chocolate mix every year using the same recipe that I used to make with my grandmother when I was little.
  I'm not sure what they enjoy more: making the mix or drinking the hot chocolate.  Who am I kidding....it's drinking the hot chocolate!  I like to set up a hot chocolate bar for them so that they can really make their hot chocolate their own.  We stir with candy canes, pop in the marshmallows, and sometimes squirt on the Reddi Wip.  I serve the hot chocolate with spoons so that they can make sure to get every drop and marshmallow out of their cup.



Below is the recipe for the hot chocolate mix.  This makes great gifts for friends, family, and teachers (see my post here for homemade teacher gifts).



Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
2 lb box Nestles Quik
1 lb box powdered sugar
11 oz. jar Coffee Mate (Original)
8 qt. box powdered milk

Directions for making the mix:  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Sift ingredients together and store in jars.

Directions for using the mix: Fill cup half full of hot chocolate mix.  Fill 3/4 of the cup with hot water.  Stir to dissolve mix.  Fill the rest of the cup with milk.  Optional: add a dash of vanilla.

Note: This makes approximately 19 cups of dry mix.  I used about 3 cups per Mason jar.

For more recipes, check out the Recipes tab or click here.



For more behind the scenes of my life, please follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.

If you like what you see, please share or like or pin my post.  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!